Mental Health First Aid
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
• Define and understand the importance of Mental Health First Aid.
• Develop a greater understanding of mental health issues and the benefits of Mental Health First Aid.
• Understand the roles and responsibilities of employers and employees in achieving better mental health
in the workplace.
• Identify the issues of stress in the workplace.
• Develop and understand a wellness strategy within the workplace.
This course is aimed at people in the workplace that would like to become a Mental Health First Aider in their workplace or for Supervisors or Managers that are interested in starting a Mental Health First Aid programme in their workplace.
Around 25 per cent of the UK population will experience a mental health problem at some point in their lives. Most are mild, tend to be short-term and are usually treated successfully with therapy and medication.
But it is still a significant problem. Mental Health First Aid teaches participants how to notice and support individuals who may be experiencing mental health issues or exhibiting the signs of substance use in a work environment.
They are also taught how to connect those people with appropriate help from fellow employees, community resources or healthcare professionals.
The course introduces the subject and outlines the benefits of Mental Health first aid and workplace wellness schemes. It then goes on to cover the effects of stress on individuals and teams and discusses how stress and mental health are linked.
It then covers the roles of employers, managers and employees in ensuring that a Mental Health First Aid programme is successful. It concludes with a series of practical examples of how to apply mental health first aid to real situations, how to support employees who are experiencing mental health issues and where to point them for further help and advice.